Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Simplest pasta sauce in the world. Really.






There are ONE too many nights when I arrive back at the urban farm here after my two hour commute back from the place of servitude, that I just can't manage to cook anything I'd consider REAL and substantial and good. This sauce has now saved my life a number of times with it's basic ingredients that I always, and likely you all, always have on hand. There are many variations of this out there, but this one is my own with tweaks to those I've found.

One can of San Marzano tomatoes. (No comments on the canned part,...there are really good organic tomatoes out there! Really!)
One onion, grated. I know the photo shows a whole onion. I was lazy.
One cup chopped basil.
Six-eight cloves garlic, chopped.
Salt, red pepper flakes.
Really good quality olive oil: Key.
5 tablespoons butter OR unrefined coconut butter /oil.

Dump the tomatoes, grated onion, and butter in.
Let simmer for 45 minute while you go get a life.
In 45 minutes, onions should be tender. Break up the tomatoes with the back of a spoon.
Add in garlic, basil, red pepper flakes to taste.
Cook another 20 minutes to half an hour. I like more garlic in the finished product so cook it less time.
Remove from heat, and add in 2-4 tbs of the really good EVOO...(I'm partial to our local Sepay Groves olive oils here in Solano County. They rock.) This brings out something kinda magical about the sauce.
Add more chopped basil, and parmesan if you like!
See? All you did was grate, dump, stir and eat! Eazy-peazy!