Tuesday, July 19, 2011

New obsession: Cheese making.


Those folks who check in on this blog from time to time know two things about me...
A. I am really lazy about blog entries
and
B. I tend to get really cranked up about certain things and will go out of my way to learn all I can about that thing...particularly if the thing involves cooking, gardening, or making art.
My current crank-up is making cheese. Yup. I've now taken a couple classes and feel pretty confident about my ability to craft some mighty fine goat cheese, mozzarella, mascarpone, and fromage blanc.
If I could have the space, I'd get me some goats of my own, but since I don't, I've been dabbling in goat herding classes this summer, and learning what I can about them. They are very sweet animals, and although I'd certainly welcome their little faces here at NashobaGardens, the fact is, I just don't have the space for them.
Soooo...I'm currently searching for goat-share situations in order to be able to find good milk.
I have to say, there is some sort of deeply soulful thing about milking a goat, then immediately crafting some cheese from the still warm offering. NOT to mention that this cheese beats out all other store bought cheese by leaps and bounds when it comes to taste and consistency.
So, I'm pretty into it now...and in fact, have plans to attend a session where crafting hard cheeses is discussed later in the summer. How cool would it be at Solstice to unveil a lovely cheddar you'd made with your own two hands ===and a cow's several udders, that is.
I've always been utterly lactose intolerant, but have to say, raw milk in all its forms has dealt with this issue. I still don't find myself able to drink MILK straight, but the cheeses I've been making from the raw stuff is SO much better, can't say enough about it. I'd make a post about HOW to make this cheese I've been making, but really, after internet searches, there are thousands of folks doing this with far better instructions.

And yeah, that's me, milkin' the goat at one of the classes this summer...this one at Love Apple's goat herding class. Cool, no?