Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Garden Excitement

It's been a very busy summer. I've had guests and guests and guests. My folks had their 50th wedding anniversary, so I was in Low Cal. for the big party. I did a little mini trip with a friend up to Mendocino this past week, and came back to a very neglected garden. Leaves, weeds, and under fertilized soil do not make for happy tomatoes...or anything else for that matter.
Two men working all day later, I now have order again, along with a goal of getting some worm tea going so that I can feed these poor babies by week's end.
Worm tea? If you garden, you know what this is. If you are a newbie, you need to know what it is.
And in its simplest form, it's easy to make. NashobaGardens has so many plants going, that there is a huge need for volume in feeding procedures. Generally, I take a large 9 gallon garbage can, mix in water, rain water if I have it, and pour in about half a bag of worm castings. I let this sit in the sun a day or so, then sift out the water into another bucket. It's good stuff. I either foliar spray the plants, or directly water with the tea. Try it out! It's worth the effort.