Sunday, April 6, 2008

Ordering Beds as opposed to Building the puppies.


What can I say?  I am indeed a girl with tools, but oy, I am lacking a table saw.  I did massive research on raised beds over the course of a weeks and found that the ones I was most drawn to were from a place on the East coast called Farmstead Raised Garden Beds.  They were wonderful!  Mortis and Tenon joints meant that assembly would be very simple...and I liked that they would have the look of a Medieval garden as they weathered.  I ordered four from the wonderful husband and wife team who hand rip all of the wood.  
When they arrived, I intended to modify them so that they would accept some poles for beans, and so that I could attach some bent pvc pipe in winter for a cold frame type of thing.    This photo is of the long sides of the bed.  
PVC was easy to attach with decking materials, but I found when I put the beds together, the wood was too wobbly.  I tore it all apart and reinforced all the corners with square deck ties designed for corners.  Worked like a charm.