Sunday, April 6, 2008

Nashoba Fala Ishto Gardens

Nashoba means wolf in the Chickasaw language.
Fala ishto means raven.
These are the two spirit totems that watch over the gardens, and have been around in my life for a good long while.
My grandfather was Chickasaw, and although I never met him as he died long before I was born, (in fact, he died when my mom was only 3 months old,) he has had a great impact on my life.
I chose to name my site and my garden world using the Chickasaw language to the best of my limited ability in the hopes that the spirits of these two good animals will bless the seeds and the water and the wind and the sunlight so that all lovely things grow.
These two totems also appear numerous times in the artwork that I tend to collect, create and love.  Although wolves are something of a rare commodity here in the Bay Area, I can't miss a day without a group of ravens springing up in the trees.  It's pretty wonderful.