Thursday, August 13, 2009

What the heck am I growing???

This summer it's been 42 varieties of heirloom tomatoes.  I can give you a list if you like, but am far too lazy to do it now.
Seven eggplant.
Six cucumbers.
White and yellow corn which will likely cross pollinate and become quasi-corn.
White turnips from Love Apple Farms.
Beets of various incarnations, about six varieties.
Lovely purple carrots.
Ten varieties of hot peppers.  I only grow bell peppers for my friend Paul, since I'm massive allergic to them....but I can eat roasted Anaheim's and Jalapenos any day of the week.  I'm looking forward to my jaunt out to Erickson Farms in Suisun to get my dose of fresh roasted peppers this next week! Yum....echos of Santa Fe.
What else?  
Black and white currents.
Concord grapes.
Eggplant...I think five brands.   'Though, the rosa bianca is my favorite.
String beans in six varieties.
Pumpkins.
Watermelon.
Lemons. 
Raspberries, blackberries.
TONS of, no a LUDICROUS amount of basil.
Butternut and spaghetti squash.
Zephyr squash and garden variety green zucchini, although the opossum have carried off so much of my squash I've barely had but three.
Nectarines---same story with animals, but these are being had by the local squirrel population.  Ergh.
Litchee tomato from Love Apple Farm.
Various herbs.
Tons of greens/lettuces.
I'm sure I'm missing something here. 

It is amazing what a small yard can yield.  I totally encourage even the smallest patch of dirt to PRODUCE!